Monday, September 17, 2012

Toilet Trouble

Nolan is 4 now.  A 4 year old, thumb sucking, Gankie (blankie) loving, long haired hippie freak, hockey goon resembling, diaper wearer.  He has, up to this point, had absolutely no interest in toilet training.  No amount of bribes, pleading, begging, or shaming has made any difference to him.  He has been quite content to mess in his pants and carry on with his day.  He'd sit in his own mess all day if I'd let him.  I tried letting him sit in it and hoped it would be uncomfortable and make him WANT to get rid of it and no, he wasn't bothered at all.  He's stubborn and dug in his heels and has fought the toilet this whole time.

Finally, mid to late last week the idea that he can't get a bike or go to school because he still wears a diaper clicked.  He has insisted on wearing underwear ever since.  The first day was pretty good.  Only one accident.  Unfortunately, it has gone down hill from there.  Each day there are more accidents and more "I sorry Mom!"  It still isn't making him use the damn toilet without me nagging.

Today he must have sensed my frustration (or heard my threats of putting him back in a diaper and putting him in bed for a nap like a baby) because as I was walking downstairs after putting the day home baby down for a nap, Nolan greeted me with wet shorts and a cloth.  He told me that he had peed and wiped it up himself.  Smart kid?  Helpful kid?  Embarrassed kid?  Kid with a good sense of self-preservation because I'm ready to tie a knot in his willie and be done with it?  Who knows, I'm just happy he cleaned it up himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment